- USDOT refresher training was a big success. Sean Austin did an excellent job with the on-line Webinar on April 9, 2020. Thirty attendees completed an 8 hr session. There was ample time to ask questions and provide comments. The cost was reduced to $150 per person since Sean’s travel expenses were eliminated. A twenty question test was administered, and Certificates were mailed to participants. Thank you to all who help us achieve this in the mist of all the uncertainties surrounding the COVID19 pandemic, and the social distancing we endure in order to stay well.
- On Thursday 2/13/20 a joint meeting hosted by the American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) was help in Newark, NJ in the evening. Here is the flyer with all the details
- On Oct. 30, 2019, a foggy rainy evening in NJ, Kendall Berry warmed up the Rutgers’ venue with two interesting talks. Kendall is the RSO at Fox Chase, and is a Board member in the HPS. About 26 participants enjoyed pizza/beer/wine/soda while Kendal presented an update on the National HPS activities, and then her interesting three-year experience with Lu-177 Lutathera. President Ira Garelick opened with some NJCHPS updates. He said that the Council made a policy decision to hold members accountable for costs: those who reserve a spot at a meeting that the Chapter must prepay a head-count, and the member is a no-show. Here is a link to the meeting announcement and images provided by Mike Drzyzga.
- On Sunday Sept. 15, 2019, the NJCHPS enjoyed another successful picnic at the Monmouth County Race Track. It was a warm and beautiful Sunday in NJ. Forty-five members and guests had a fun filled day. Sorry, no images to share.
- On May 1, 2019, a meeting that was "postponed" on Nov. 27, 2018, due to a messy early snow event in NJ was successfully completed.
Rutgers hosted 14 attendees to learn:
Karen Colucci, MS.Radiation Safety Officer for the Lehigh Valley Health Network
Topic: "Assessment of a Conversion Factor for Estimating Extremity Dose in Interventional Fluoroscopy"
View meeting announcement with all details (PDF)
See images here.
- Thursday evening, Feb. 21,2019, was a good time for the NJCHPS. A joint meeting with the American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) was very successful. Thirty-seven attended -- 19 HPs and 18 SPs. Caitlin Root provided a spot-on presentation regarding "managing radioactive devices for the non-RSO" . A lot of valuable discussion was hear at the end. The "new" Rutgers's Club on the Livingston Campus provided a well-liked venue, with excellent food and service. Here are some images of the evening.
- View meeting announcement (PDF)
The Executive Committee met prior to the meeting, and will be working on the following: 1) reengaging Karen Colucci for an April presentation (the one postponed from last Nov.), 2) our Chapter's annual meeting in June, and 3) a summer picnic in August. Keep a lookout for information here, on the Chapter's Facebook Page, and in your "InBox."
Also, the current EC will soon be seeking nominations for members interested in helping keep the NJCHPS moving forward. Open positions will be President Elect, Secretary Elect, and Treasurer Elect.
- Annual National HPS President Elect Meeting with Eric Goldin was held jointly with the GNYCHPS on Tuesday, October 16th (10/16/18) at Sol-Mar Restaurant on Ferry St. ("iron bound section") in Newark, NJ, at 5 pm,
Visit the photo section for some images captured by Patrick McDermott. NJCHPS President Thomas Dobbs presided.
- The Annual "picnic" at Monmouth Park Horse Races on Sunday Aug. 26 was great success - excluding results at the betting window, UGH!. 15 members attended with a total of 48 including family and guests. The weather cooperated (actually bearable for a late NJ August day), and the food and drink were most enjoyable. It was special to see NEW attendees, along with "old timers". Here is a link to images for your viewing pleasure.
- On June 27, 2018, The Annual Meeting was held at a new venue - The Sheraton Edison Raritan Center. Beautiful facility, easy access, great food!The Technical Presentation was provided by Jerry Bonanno, Esq., Nuclear Energy Institute, topic - "Nuclear Power Regulations - How Safe is Safe Enough?". About 24 attendees enjoyed a detailed history of the AEC/NRC's regulations. Jerry knows the USNRC Commissioners, and shared a lot of insight into how the Commission works. He is inside the beltway!.Lot's of great questions sparked his presentation. We also enjoyed "hot stuff" raffles and vendor supported drawings.
Here's a link to the images.
- On March 6, 2018, the Rutgers REHS office hosted a great pizza and salad meeting. Tim Koeth, Ph.D. from the University of Maryland presented "Building a Homemade Cyclotron" and his related work at UMD's reactor and pool irradiator. Click here for the announcement.
And here are three images courtesy of Pres Elect Tom Dobbs.
On Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2017, the NJCHPS help a joint meeting with the GNYCHPS in NYC. This was our annual Pres. Elect meeting, located at the Alpha Fusion restaurant near 9th Ave and 34th St. It was a beautiful evening, and well attended by both Chapters. Dr. Nolan Hertel spoke on the current re-evaluation of public dose from patients released with I-131. The Asian and Middle Eastern food was enjoyed by all. The only blooper was the facility's laptop severely crashed in the middle of the presentation. Next year (2018) back to Don Pepe's. You will find the presentation here (PDF). And pictures taken by both Mike Drzyzga and GNYCHPS Pres. Bae Chu here on our photopage.
- On Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, the NJCHPS provided another annual picnic to over 55 attendees, and with no cost to members or immediate family. We watched the NJ Patriots baseball team at the TD Bank Stadium in Somerset, NJ. The weather was perfect, the picnic area well-placed, and the buffet BBQ was excellent. Patriot's did not play well, losing to the Yanks. Thank you to our supporting Affiliates: Atlantic Nuclear, Chase, DDES, Radiac and Veolia. Here are the announcement, AND some pictures.
- On Thurs, June 29, 2017, the NJCHPS held its Annual (year-end) meeting at the Holiday Inn, Somerset, NJ. The well-attended meeting was supported again by the Chapter's affiliate vendors (Ecology Services, Mirion, Atlantic Nuclear, Laurus Systems, and Landauer). The food and drink was great as expected, we did a "hot stuff" raffle and the two winners received a pair of Vaseline glass "creamers" or a 10 inch' Fiesta Ware orange plate. The meeting's focus was an engaging presentation by Dr. Miao Zhang, Rutgers University Hospital, on "Introduction to proton therapy." See pictures .
- On Wed. May 17, 2017, Mr. Duncan White, Senior HP with the USNRC provided an enlightening presentation regarding the Commission's current activity evaluating the risks from Category III nuclear Sources. Pizza/Salads and a variety of liquid refreshments were enjoyed by about 20 attendees at the Rutgers University REHS facility, New Brunswick, NJ. Click here for a few photos. Also, Duncan White's presentation is available here. (PDF)
- On Sunday, Sept. 16, 2016, the NJCHPS had over 25 members and family attend the FREE annual picnic at the Monmouth Park, NJ Race Track. The weather was perfect, and a fun time was enjoyed by all.
- On December 12, 2016, at Rutgers University, New Brunswick, Patrick McDermott, CHP, presented "An Independent Safety Assessment for Millburn, NJ. Does the Proposed Advanced Accelerator Applications Facility Pose a Risk to Our Residents" AND Robert Tokarz, NJCHPS President, presented "I-131 Therapy for the Patient on Dialysis." Here are a few photos.
- On October 27, 2016. The GNYCHPS hosted a joint meeting with the NJCHPS in NYC for our annual President Elect visit. Eric Abelquist provided and interesting presentation and great time was had in the Big Apple.
- On March 28, 2016, the NJCHPS provided USDOT refresher Training. We were fortunate to have Sean Austin, Senior HP with Plexus Scientific Corp, return to the Rutgers Newark, NJ campus (formerly UMDNJ) for the 8-hour training. The $160 fee provided an electronic study guide, lunch and a certificate (if you passed the quiz).
- On Thurs. evening, June 9, 2016, about 30 members and guests attended the NJCHPS Annual Meeting. The fun filled evening included a great buffet at the Holiday Inn, Somerset, NJ, radioactive raffles, vendor raffles, and an outstanding presentation by Mary J. Dorman, RSO from U. Maryland: "Suspicious Behavior - What the NRC Really Wants to Know" (a very intriguing actual Part 37 event). The Executive Committee election results were announced, and the new EC members introduced. A BIG Thank You to Art Green, Radiac; Paul Marshall, Ecology Services; and Mike Rook, Atlantic Nuclear for their support. Here's a link to the Photo section...
- Thursday, April 14, 2016: Dr. Joe Shonka from Atlanta, GA presented "Concerns for Aircrew Radiation Exposure" at an evening meeting at Princeton University. Dr. Shonka's extended presentation provided details of recently discovered natural sources of radiation, such as Solar Neutrons and Gamma radiation from lightning, that is not yet being accounted for in estimates of aircrew radiation exposure. There is clearly a HP need to further evaluate this situation. Thank you to Sue Dupre, Princeton's RSO, for arranging an outstanding venue. Please also visit the photo section.
- January 14, 2016: Rutgers University hosted an extended meeting regarding "Implementation of Part 37" with speakers: Randolph C. Ragland, Jr.,CHP, Senior Health Physicist, NRC Region 1, and Richard Peros, Supervisor, State of New Jersey, DEP, Bureau of Environmental Radiation. The presentation is available here. The meal was catered by Famous Dave's" featuring BBQ Chicken and Beef Brisket. Randy's PowerPoint presentation is available on the NJ Chapter FaceBook page!! (Thank you USNRC). There were had 34 attendees. Also check out the photo section.
- January 2016, Obituary: Dr. Allan Appleby, former Rutgers University professor and HP, provided an Obituary for another former teacher and researcher from Rutgers: Dr. Ed Christman. Click here to read.
- Nov. 10, 2015 presentation by Mr. Matt Norton from DDES, Topic: "High Chemical Hazard and DU, D&D project in MA". Photographs in the photo section.
- Wed. Oct. 7, 2015: Autumn meeting at Don Pepe Restaurant in Newark, NJ, with national Pres. Elect Robert Cherry. Photographs in the photo section.
- August 16, 2015: The NJCHPS held it's Annual Picnic at the Monmouth Park Horse Race Track. WE THANK Chase Environmental for helping support this event. Sue Dupre did a wonderful job coordinating this for the Chapter. Mike Drzyzga took some great photographs, see the photo section.
- July 2015: Friends, colleagues and former co-workers in the NJ Chapter HPS congratulate Glenn Sturchio for successfully receiving his "Fellow" award from the HPS. When you see Glenn, or otherwise contact him, please offer recognition.
- June 10, 2015, Chapter's fun-filled Annual Meeting, to include raffles/auction, and guest presenter. Location: Holiday Inn, Davidson Road, Somerset, NJ. For details click here.
Mike Drzyzga and Pat McDermott's "Mug Shot"
Mikes receives the Chapter's glass "coffee" mug for being the presenter on June 10, 2015.
- April 15, 2015, Frazier Bronson, CHP, presents "Babies, Spiders, and Persimmons: Adventures in post-Fukushima Japan", Hosted by Princeton, University, Joseph Henry Room, Jadwin Hall (see the photo section)
- September 16, 2014 Dr. Mohan Doss presents "Low-Dose Radiation is Beneficial, Not Harmful".
- June 26, 2013, DNA to D&D: A Molecular Biologist's Foray Into Am-241 Health Physics
Dr. Walt Lilly, Southeast Missouri State University
- June 14, 2012, Annual Meeting (click here for info)
- April 26, 2012, Meeting (click here for info)
Presentation Topic: Decommissioning of a 1920s-Era Chemistry Lab Building and Assorted Surprises
What Exactly Were They Doing with That Radium?