- On Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, the NJCHPS provided another annual picnic to over 55 attendees, and with no cost to members or immediate family. We watched the NJ Patriots baseball team at the TD Bank Stadium in Somerset, NJ. The weather was perfect, the picnic area well-placed, and the buffet BBQ was excellent. Patriot's did not play well, losing to the Yanks. Thank you to our supporting Affiliates: Atlantic Nuclear, Chase, DDES, Radiac and Veolia. Here are the announcement, AND some pictures.
- On Thurs, June 29, 2017, the NJCHPS held its Annual (year-end) meeting at the Holiday Inn, Somerset, NJ. The well-attended meeting was supported again by the Chapter's affiliate vendors (Ecology Services, Mirion, Atlantic Nuclear, Laurus Systems, and Landauer). The food and drink was great as expected, we did a "hot stuff" raffle and the two winners received a pair of Vaseline glass "creamers" or a 10 inch' Fiesta Ware orange plate. The meeting's focus was an engaging presentation by Dr. Miao Zhang, Rutgers University Hospital, on "Introduction to proton therapy." See pictures .
- On Wed. May 17, 2017, Mr. Duncan White, Senior HP with the USNRC provided an enlightening presentation regarding the Commission's current activity evaluating the risks from Category III nuclear Sources. Pizza/Salads and a variety of liquid refreshments were enjoyed by about 20 attendees at the Rutgers University REHS facility, New Brunswick, NJ. Click here for a few photos. Also, Duncan White's presentation is available here. (PDF)
- On Sunday, Sept. 16, 2016, the NJCHPS had over 25 members and family attend the FREE annual picnic at the Monmouth Park, NJ Race Track. The weather was perfect, and a fun time was enjoyed by all.
- On December 12, 2016, at Rutgers University, New Brunswick, Patrick McDermott, CHP, presented "An Independent Safety Assessment for Millburn, NJ. Does the Proposed Advanced Accelerator Applications Facility Pose a Risk to Our Residents" AND Robert Tokarz, NJCHPS President, presented "I-131 Therapy for the Patient on Dialysis." Here are a few photos.
- On October 27, 2016. The GNYCHPS hosted a joint meeting with the NJCHPS in NYC for our annual President Elect visit. Eric Abelquist provided and interesting presentation and great time was had in the Big Apple.
- On March 28, 2016, the NJCHPS provided USDOT refresher Training. We were fortunate to have Sean Austin, Senior HP with Plexus Scientific Corp, return to the Rutgers Newark, NJ campus (formerly UMDNJ) for the 8-hour training. The $160 fee provided an electronic study guide, lunch and a certificate (if you passed the quiz).
- On Thurs. evening, June 9, 2016, about 30 members and guests attended the NJCHPS Annual Meeting. The fun filled evening included a great buffet at the Holiday Inn, Somerset, NJ, radioactive raffles, vendor raffles, and an outstanding presentation by Mary J. Dorman, RSO from U. Maryland: "Suspicious Behavior - What the NRC Really Wants to Know" (a very intriguing actual Part 37 event). The Executive Committee election results were announced, and the new EC members introduced. A BIG Thank You to Art Green, Radiac; Paul Marshall, Ecology Services; and Mike Rook, Atlantic Nuclear for their support. Here's a link to the Photo section...
- Thursday, April 14, 2016: Dr. Joe Shonka from Atlanta, GA presented "Concerns for Aircrew Radiation Exposure" at an evening meeting at Princeton University. Dr. Shonka's extended presentation provided details of recently discovered natural sources of radiation, such as Solar Neutrons and Gamma radiation from lightning, that is not yet being accounted for in estimates of aircrew radiation exposure. There is clearly a HP need to further evaluate this situation. Thank you to Sue Dupre, Princeton's RSO, for arranging an outstanding venue. Please also visit the photo section.
- January 14, 2016: Rutgers University hosted an extended meeting regarding "Implementation of Part 37" with speakers: Randolph C. Ragland, Jr.,CHP, Senior Health Physicist, NRC Region 1, and Richard Peros, Supervisor, State of New Jersey, DEP, Bureau of Environmental Radiation. The presentation is available here. The meal was catered by Famous Dave's" featuring BBQ Chicken and Beef Brisket. Randy's PowerPoint presentation is available on the NJ Chapter FaceBook page!! (Thank you USNRC). There were had 34 attendees. Also check out the photo section.
- January 2016, Obituary: Dr. Allan Appleby, former Rutgers University professor and HP, provided an Obituary for another former teacher and researcher from Rutgers: Dr. Ed Christman. Click here to read.
- Nov. 10, 2015 presentation by Mr. Matt Norton from DDES, Topic: "High Chemical Hazard and DU, D&D project in MA". Photographs in the photo section.
- Wed. Oct. 7, 2015: Autumn meeting at Don Pepe Restaurant in Newark, NJ, with national Pres. Elect Robert Cherry. Photographs in the photo section.
- August 16, 2015: The NJCHPS held it's Annual Picnic at the Monmouth Park Horse Race Track. WE THANK Chase Environmental for helping support this event. Sue Dupre did a wonderful job coordinating this for the Chapter. Mike Drzyzga took some great photographs, see the photo section.
- July 2015: Friends, colleagues and former co-workers in the NJ Chapter HPS congratulate Glenn Sturchio for successfully receiving his "Fellow" award from the HPS. When you see Glenn, or otherwise contact him, please offer recognition.
- June 10, 2015, Chapter's fun-filled Annual Meeting, to include raffles/auction, and guest presenter. Location: Holiday Inn, Davidson Road, Somerset, NJ. For details click here.
Mike Drzyzga and Pat McDermott's "Mug Shot"
Mikes receives the Chapter's glass "coffee" mug for being the presenter on June 10, 2015.
- April 15, 2015, Frazier Bronson, CHP, presents "Babies, Spiders, and Persimmons: Adventures in post-Fukushima Japan", Hosted by Princeton, University, Joseph Henry Room, Jadwin Hall (see the photo section)
- September 16, 2014 Dr. Mohan Doss presents "Low-Dose Radiation is Beneficial, Not Harmful".
- June 26, 2013, DNA to D&D: A Molecular Biologist's Foray Into Am-241 Health Physics
Dr. Walt Lilly, Southeast Missouri State University
- June 14, 2012, Annual Meeting (click here for info)
- April 26, 2012, Meeting (click here for info)
Presentation Topic: Decommissioning of a 1920s-Era Chemistry Lab Building and Assorted Surprises
What Exactly Were They Doing with That Radium?
- Highlights of the new ANSI Z136.8 – 2012 Laser Standard for Research, Development, and Testing (01/17/2013)
- Grassroots Preparedness, a Radiation Risk Scale, and Marketing of Health Physics (11/10/2011)
- Agreement State Q&A Session (10/05/2011)
- 2011 NJHPS Annual Meeting (06/13/2011)
- Tour of PPPL (04/26/2011)